The Scottish Feng Shui Centre
THE BASIC FENG SHUI CONCEPTS / ABOUT FENG SHUI
What is Feng Shui all about?
Feng shui is about making changes to your daily environment in order to improve key areas of your life or business. Our surroundings, both at home and at work, affect us every day: how we feel, how we think, how we act, how we relate to others. Above all they affect our physical and mental health, both at home and at work.
Understanding and influencing our daily environments to suit our needs and aspirations can help all aspects of our lives, from personal challenges (e.g. relating to others, confidence, motivation, health) to more visible achievements (selling our house, getting a new job/promotion, achieving ambitions).
Core Concepts of Feng Shui
The core concepts of feng shui originated in ancient China and are still used extensively around the world. They are designed to create supportive environments for achieving our chosen aims. These concepts encompass:
- chi, or 'energy'. This is the concept of a universal life force, the theory that we are living in a 'sea of energy' (Einstein). In feng shui, the notion of creating favourable 'chi' is seen as essential to creating happy, supportive environments. More about chi
- overall layout of buildings and rooms, including positioning and orientation of key items of furniture such as beds and desks: this can particularly affect issues such as confidence, authority and restlessness. Find out more about layouts and rooms
- circulation through buildings/chi flow: how you move through your home/workplace often reflects how you move through life. Find out more about chi flow
- 'the five elements': how different elements of nature relate to each other and affect aspects of your life. Find out more about the five elements
- yin/yang balance: active vs. restful environments. Find out more about yin & yang
- colour: this can have profound psychological and physiological affects. Find out more about colour
- artwork & ornaments - we are very susceptible to the power of images and symbolism. Understanding and using symbolism can be very empowering. Find out more about artwork & ornaments
- compass directions & orientation: many people are affected by where they are and directions they face. Find out more about compass directions
- the bagua: this is an imaginary grid which divides homes/workplaces into areas which represent different areas of life. It is a very effective tool for focusing attention on certain issues in your life/business. More about bagua
- 'predecessor chi', i.e. tensions and atmosphere left in buildings by other people. This human energy can be cleared using a process called 'space clearing'. Find out more about predecessor chi
Modern feng shui issues: EMR (electromagnetic radiation), geopathic stress (GS), air quality, full-spectrum lightning, clutter
The environment in which we live has changed dramatically, particularly in the last 50 years, and the scope of feng shui in the west has been significantly expanded to address common modern problems such as:
- Electro-magnetic fields or electromagnetic radiation (EMR): wiring in our homes and offices can have a strong effect on our health, energy and mood. Find out more EMR
- Geopathic stress: this is radiation arising from the earth. It can seriously affect our health and cause depression and tension. It can also make it very hard to sell your house. Learn more about geopathic stress
- Air quality and toxic chemicals: this health issue is getting increasingly difficult to avoid, but some solutions such as the right plants can help to reduce the problem. Find out more how air quality and toxic chemicals affect us
- Narrow-spectrum lighting: this exists in many modern lighting products, and often affects our physical and mental health. Solutions are available. Find out more how lightening can help you
- Clutter: this is a big issue in the western world of consumerism. It has a huge impact on lives and businesses, affecting us mentally, emotionally and physically. Controlling it can be a huge challenge, but the rewards are often immense. Find out more about clutter
Nine Star Ki Astrology - Feng Shui Astrology
Nine Star Ki is a detailed system of feng shui astrology which focuses on character traits and human relationships. Its insights are astonishingly accurate and often help us to understand the causes of problems and patterns in our lives.
©2005-2019 The Scottish Feng Shui Centre, Edinburgh, Scotland